… Gets party clearance as sole aspirant
ABUJA – Former President Goodluck Jonathan has emerged as the presidential candidate of a factional structure within the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) ahead of the 2027 general election, after the party’s screening committee granted him a waiver and cleared him as its sole presidential aspirant.
The decision was disclosed in Abuja on Tuesday by a member of the Presidential Screening Committee, former Niger State Governor Babangida Aliyu, shortly after the conclusion of the party’s ongoing screening exercise.
Aliyu said the committee had no reason to subject Jonathan to further scrutiny, explaining that the former president had already been granted a waiver by the party’s leadership.
He noted that Jonathan’s political progression—from Deputy Governor to Governor, Vice President and President made additional screening unnecessary.
“As you know, the party had already given a presidential aspirant the waiver. He has been Deputy Governor, Governor, Vice President and President. So, we didn’t see anything that needed screening. Therefore, the party had given him a waiver,” Aliyu said.
He further confirmed that Jonathan remained the only aspirant cleared for the presidential slot under the factional arrangement, simply responding “yes” when asked if he was the sole contender.
The development effectively positions the former president as the preferred flagbearer within the Turaki-led factional structure of the party, deepening the emerging internal divisions within the PDP.
Aliyu also disclosed that similar waivers had been extended to other aspirants for elective positions, including former Oyo State Deputy Governor Taofeek Arapaja, to enable him contest the governorship in Oyo State.
He added that the screening committee continued its nationwide exercise, covering aspirants across Taraba, Adamawa, Kano, Akwa Ibom, Delta and other states.
Despite the party’s internal tensions, Aliyu expressed confidence in its ability to withstand political pressure, insisting that attempts to destabilise it had failed.
“We are very happy that even those who have been attempting to kill the party cannot succeed. The party will contest this election by the grace of God and by the Constitution of Nigeria,” he said.
Meanwhile, governorship aspirants screened during the exercise outlined various policy priorities, including tackling insecurity, poverty, unemployment and infrastructural decay in their respective states ahead of the 2027 elections.